In January 2020, the existing Canvas grade book will be replaced with a new version. At that time the old gradebook will no longer be available, but all existing grades will be preserved and will be accessible through the new gradebook. You will not have to do anything to facilitate this migration.
The new gradebook has some new features, and some of the features that were already in the old gradebook have been moved. The changes are described below.
Some frequently used Gradebook features have been relocated:
- A link to SpeedGrader can be found in the Grade Details tray [see 1) below]
- Assignment Details (which showed high, low and avg score for an assignment) can be found in Canvas Analytics Beta [See this Canvas documentation to learn more about Analytics Beta]
- Gradebook History can be found in the Gradebook menu
- Hide Student Names has been replaced by the Anonymous grading option which you can select when setting up an assignment [See Canvas Documentation]
- The option to Treat Ungraded as 0, which filled all blank cells in the Gradebook with “0”s has been replaced by the Automatically apply grade for missing submissions” feature [see 3) below]
- Show Notes Column is now in View menu
- Import and Export are now under the Actions menu
- Individual View is now under the Gradebook menu
- Arrange columns by… options are now under the View menu
1. Grade Details Tray
Teacher or Grader can use the grade details tray to view grade details for all assignments submitted by a single student and, if desired, change their grade, status, and/or comments, and then click to see the next student. Or, for a single assignment, you can click to look at each student’s grade details, one at a time.
To bring up the Grade Details Tray, click anywhere in a cell, and then click the right-pointing arrow:
The arrow will open the Grade Details Tray to the left of the screen.
Each cell in the new grade book has one of five statuses: Late, Missing, Resubmitted, Dropped, or Excused. The status of a cell is normally automatically determined by course and assignment parameters but can be changed for each Gradebook cell using the Grade Details Tray.
3. Late/Missing Policies
The ability to manage late or missing work policies is located under the gear tool in the Gradebook menu.
4. Unpublished assignments
Like the old grade book, the new grade book does not ordinarily show columns for unpublished assignments. To show unpublished assignments, use the view menu. Columns for unpublished assignments will be labeled as UNPUBLISHED, and grades cannot be entered in them until the assignment is published.
The new grade book allows you to use filters to eliminate columns that are not of immediate interest. The selection is made in the “Filters” submenu of the “View” menu. The filters you can apply are: “Assignment Group”, “Modules”, and “Sections.” If there is nothing to select, the filter will not appear in the menu, for example, if there is just one assignment group, “Assignment Groups” will not appear in the menu. If there is only one assignment group, only one section, and no modules, then the “Filters” menu will not appear.