This documentation is designed to help instructors set up Perusall as a graded reading assignment in Canvas. The Perusall course site will be generated from the Canvas site, so please begin by navigating to your Canvas course.
1. In your Canvas course, navigate to the “Assignments” page.
2. On the Assignments page, click on “Assignment” to add a new assignment.
3. Name the assignment (e.g.: Perusall Reading + name of the file).
4. Provide instructions, and set up the Points and Assignment Group.
5. Scroll down to “Submission Type” to choose “External Tool,” then click “Find.”
6. Locate and select “Perusall,” then click “Select.” Perusall is available to all Canvas users. Creating an “Assignment” using the Perusall “External Tool” will generate a Perusall site with a name that matches the Canvas course name.
7. Check the box “Load this Tool in a New Tab.” This must be selected or you will not be able to access the course Perusall site.
8. At the bottom of the assignment options, click “Save & Publish.”
9. The assignment page will now appear. Click the button that says “Load Perusall in a New Window” to be redirected to your course Perusall site.
Note: Once you click “Load [Assignment Name] in a new window,” Perusall will generate a course with a name that matches the Canvas course name.
11. If you’ve used Perusall before, you will be taken to the Perusall course home page and will be able to begin uploading and assigning documents. Please see our documentation for more information: Adding Documents to Perusall.