What is Piazza?
Piazza is an online platform that facilitates interaction among students and instructors in an efficient and intuitive manner. It is essentially designed to solicit questions and answers from classmates and instructors in one, wiki-style space. Students can post questions, initiate discussions, and comment on each others’ posts. Teachers and TAs can also ask and answer questions, comment, or endorse specific answers.
Please watch the introductory video created by Piazza.
How Can It Help My Teaching?
- Encourage effective communication with students through an online Q&A platform, especially for large classes
- Answer students’ questions (can be both public or private) in a timely manner
- Manage and arrange students’ responses and posts according to class plans
- Create multiple subgroups for class project within a class
- View participation statistics to address some of the frequently asked question that students have
- Utilize poll or quiz features to get student responses
- Provide a variety of ways to access and engage with course materials
How Can It Help My Students?
- Collaborate and communicate online with classmates and instructors in a non-hierarchical, interactive manner
- Form private subgroups to work through problems or class projects together
- Send private messages or questions to the instructor
- Post questions anonymously to the class
- Conveniently participate through mobile devices using the Piazza application.
Things to consider before starting Piazza
- Piazza offers a wide range of features that facilitate collaboration among students and the instructor. You may want to determine which feature would help you achieve your instructional goals.
- Piazza is highly student oriented. Decide how you will help your students by setting up rules and expectations for using the platform.
- Piazza can provide a useful space for clarifying information and answering questions. Consider how you or your TAs would monitor the questions and answers posted.