Poll Everywhere is a web-based personal response system (PRS) that can be a useful tool to engage students during synchronous teaching sessions both in-person and online. You can integrate Poll Everywhere into your slide deck and give students various prompts to respond to in order to spur discussion or check for understanding. You can also collect Poll Everywhere responses asynchronously—this could be a great way to survey your students about a topic, or collect information that will be used to structure a class activity.
Poll Everywhere is free for students and does not require students to purchase an additional device such as a “clicker.” Students can use their own internet-connected device to respond to polls.
This resource includes the following:
- Accessing and Customizing Your Poll Everywhere Account has information on how to acquire a Boston College Poll Everywhere account.
- Setting Up Poll Everywhere for Your Students shows how to add your students to Poll Everywhere and prepare them to participate.
- Creating Activities includes the types of questions you can ask and how to create them.
- Presenting Activities Synchronously walks through how to present activities through the Poll Everywhere website or embedded in your slides.
- Viewing & Grading Student Responses provides information on viewing student responses in a report and sending those responses to the Canvas gradebook of your course.
- A Poll Everywhere Guide for Students you can send to your class.
Additional information about Poll Everywhere, including guidance on sharing polls with colleagues and embedding polls in Canvas, can be found on our FAQ page.