The calendar tool in Canvas collects events and assignments across all your courses into a single view, providing a useful overview of upcoming events and tasks.
- Course-related Events: Use calendar events to describe the topic and activities for each class session.
- Special Events: Use the calendar to highlight special events outside the normal class schedule.
- Appointment Scheduling: Use the Scheduler to have students sign up for office hours or individual conferences.
A Comparison of Events and Assignments
- Events have a start and end date, while Assignments have a single due date.
- Assignments with a date will automatically show up on the calendar alongside events.
- Both calendar events and assignments show up on the schedule in the Syllabus tool.
- Calendar events are managed on the calendar, while Assignments can be added from either the calendar or from the Assignments page in your course.
For further information, see these guides from Instructure:
- What is the Calendar for instructors? (Links to an external site.)
- How do I view the Calendar? (Links to an external site.)
- How do I add an event to the Course Calendar? (Links to an external site.)
- How do I create an assignment shell from the Calendar? (Links to an external site.)
- When would I use the Scheduler? (Links to an external site.)
- How do I use the Scheduler? (Links to an external site.)
- **NOTE: When dividing the hours for the appointments, be sure to click on the “split” button. This will be highlighted in the documentation, but we wanted to draw special attention to the “split” button.