Files include anything uploaded to your course site from your computer (Word documents, PDFs, PPTs, etc). Each time you upload a document to Modules, create a link to a document on the Syllabus or in Pages, or in any way bring non-media content into the course, the content will be stored in Files.
Files are a storage location for all the content uploaded to a course. The Files tab is hidden from students by default.
If you have copied content into your course from another Canvas course, you will find your content in Files. As such, your files may contain out-of-date syllabi and other content that you’ve worked with previously but do not intended to show to students.
For further information, see these guide from Instructure:
- How do I move and organize my Files as an instructor?
- Where are my personal Files as an instructor?
- Where are my course Files as an instructor?
- Where are my group Files as an instructor?
- How do I create a folder in Files as an instructor?
- How do I add a File to my course?
- How do I bulk upload Files to my course?
- How do I delete a File as an instructor?
- How do I restrict files and folders in Canvas?
- What types of media files can be uploaded into Canvas?
Additional information on files can be found in the Files Chapter on the Instructure website.