Teaching Strategies


New Instructor Information

What information do I need to submit to human resources?

If you have not previously worked on campus or if any of your information has changed, you will need to submit all relevant materials to Human Resources. Information about forms, benefits, and resources can be found on the New Employees: Human Resources website. The Human Resources main page can also be helpful in finding information such as new job opportunities, instructions for the online payroll system (Kronos), and the Boston College Child Center.

Where can I read the graduate student handbook?

Graduate Student Handbooks are available through department websites, links to which can be found at the end of this document if they are publicly available. If you’re hoping to get a feel for the university’s culture, the Provost’s Office produces and posts the Faculty Handbook each year.

What do I need to know about the privacy of student data?

It is important for graduate instructors to learn about the Family Educational Rights and Privacy Act (FERPA), which covers the data privacy rights of university students.

What do I need to know about students’ right to a safe environment?

All instructors should review Boston College’s Title IX reporting policies and procedures, and familiarize themselves with their responsibilities.

What do I need to know about reporting incidents of bias?

Instructors can review Boston College’s process for reporting hate crimes and bias-motivated offenses.

How do I find information about my students?

Most information about your students can be found in Agora Portal. After logging in with your BC username and password, the “Academics and Courses” section of “My Services” includes links to class rosters, email distribution lists, and Canvas. The Teaching with Technology page provides more detailed instructions to identify the students that you teach and advise, as well as how to send emails to your classes.

When and where do my classes meet?

Whether serving as a student or instructor, course locations can be found on Agora Portal through the “Course Information and Schedule” link; the BC Campus Map can then help you find these locations on campus. Instructors should reference the Academic Calendar to note when classes are in session and when the students have breaks. In addition to these details, the Faculty Calendaralso includes information about the release of course evaluations and due dates for grades.

Where can I find information about the university’s vacation schedule?

The office holiday schedule is available through Human Resources.

How do I find out if the school is closed for inclement weather?

Beginning at 6:00 AM the day of the closure, information will be posted to the BC Emergency page. BC also provides a notification service via text message. You can opt into this alert system when setting up your contact information through the Agora Portal by providing a cell phone number.

Student Services

Where can I direct students with questions about university policies and procedures?

The Student Services website can help guide students through questions about registration, important policies and procedures, and other campus resources. Boston College also has an extensive advising program.

How can I best support my students?

What support is available for students with disabilities and/or those seeking accommodations?

Boston College has clear Disability Accommodation Policies. Students should be registered with the Connors Family Learning Center (CFLC) if they are seeking academic accommodations. Students with hearing, visual, mobility, medical, and psychiatric disabilities should consult the Disability Services Office.

What academic and counseling support is available on campus?

Informal tutoring is available to all students through the Connors Family Learning Center (CFLC) and writing help can be found through the Online Writing Lab (OWL) and the Writing Center. In addition, Boston College has a comprehensive Counseling Services office.

Learning and Teaching

Where can I find support for my teaching?

The Center for Teaching Excellence is committed to supporting all Boston College teachers as they investigate and implement best teaching practices:

What is Canvas and how do I use it?

Canvas is Boston College’s learning management system (LMS). Most basically, faculty can post course syllabi, important documents, and announcements on Canvas. Additionally, Canvas has a chat function, discussion board, gradebook, and much more.

How can I receive technological support for my teaching?

The Center for Teaching Excellence can provide support for teaching technologies such as:

The Teaching with Technology page can provide support for in-classroom technologies. In addition to this classroom-specific support, Information Technology Services (ITS) can provide more comprehensive technology assistance.

What is Boston College’s policy on academic integrity?

Boston College has a university-wide statement on Academic Integrity. Additionally, all faculty are encouraged to consult their schools and departments for more specific policies and procedures.

Does Boston College have university-wide policies on grading and attendance?

Boston College’s Grading Procedures guide outlines when grades are due, how to input and change grades, and what grades are valid. Students are expected to attend class and submit work on time, but the university outlines additional Attendance Policies in case of prolonged absence or absence due to religious observation. Many additional University Policies and Procedures can be found on the Student Services website.

How can I request a classroom?

Classroom Requests can be made if you would like to hold class at a different time or location than regularly scheduled. Additionally, the Center for Teaching Excellence has facilities, such as a recording studio, innovation lab, and technology-enabled classrooms, available for reservation.

How do I submit book orders?

Course book orders can be submitted through the bookstore website.

Where can I find more information about Boston College’s libraries?

Boston College has many libraries on campus, the locations and hours of which you can find on the Boston College Libraries website. O’Neill Library is the main library on campus, located on Middle Campus. Faculty members are encouraged to utilize the Course Reserves system. Additionally, the Subject Librarians are incredibly helpful and assist in finding, creating, and making available resources for both faculty research and course projects.

General Information and Campus Resources

How can I find contact information about members of the Boston College community?

Contact information for Boston College community members can be found on the Campus Directory page, where you can search by name or scan by department. Additionally, you can access a list of Quick Phone Numbers and Email Addresses. There is also a complete list of Deans and Department Chairs for all BC schools and departments.

Where can I find information about relocating to Boston?

The Office of Graduate Student Life has compiled a number of resources relevant to relocating to the Boston area. The Office of Residential Life provides a number of resources on Off-Campus Housing, including a roommate finder and information about leasing in the Boston area. You can also find information about popular Boston activities, and corresponding student discounts.

Where can I find information about financial aid?

Graduate students can access financial aid forms online.

How can I find a job on campus?

The Office of Graduate Student Life regularly updates a list of available graduate assistantships as well as opportunities in the surrounding area.

Where can I find support on campus as a graduate student?

The Office of Graduate Student Life is the access point for most graduate programming and community. The Graduate Student Association is a student-run organization that advocates for graduate students in the larger campus governance and plans social and academic events for students. Students can also join the Graduate Students of Color Association, the Graduate International Student Association, the Graduate Pride Alliance, and/or the Graduate Christian Fellowship. Counseling Services is also available to graduate students.

What is the best way to get to and from campus?

Boston College’s Transportation and Parking website has a wealth of resources regarding parking on campus, for both daily use and on special event days. The website also has tips on commuting to campus, and information about the BC Shuttles–which run locally around Brighton and between Main Campus and the Newton Campus–and their schedules.

What other activities are important on Boston College’s campus?

As a Jesuit institution, Boston College has a robust Campus Ministry program that serves all members of the Boston College community. Boston College also prides itself on its strong athletic tradition. Graduate students may be interested in attending varsity athletic events or joining campus recreation programs. Finally, Boston College provides a number of cultural offerings. Faculty might want to explore the McMullen Museum of Art or take in a student theater performance. The semesterly Arts Calendar is a centralized list of the various performances, lectures, and exhibits on display across campus.

Where can I eat on campus?

BC Dining Services have locations throughout Upper, Middle, and Lower Campus, as well the Newton and Brighton Campuses. Hours and menus vary by location.

Available Departmental Policies

Morrissey College of Arts & Sciences

Graduate School of Social Work

Lynch School of Education